The New School is hiring an interactive designer! Amazing benefits, plus the greatest gift of all: being able to work with me! Apply here: https://careers.newschool.edu/postings/6620
Position Availability: Immediate
Position Title: Interactive Designer
The Design office— part of the Communications External Affairs department (CEA)— creates all the print and online promotional materials for The New School, a vibrant, progressive university in Greenwich Village, NYC. It is their charge to define and execute a smart, lively, viable presence for the university and each of its divisions and administrative departments.
The New School seeks an experienced Interactive Designer with an excellent command of color, space, type, and style, and who is willing to push the envelope even as he/she maintains the integrity of the university’s brand. The ideal candidate is a marketing-savvy interactive designer who can design to the exacting technical specifications for the university’s website and create compelling work that converts to easily-produced web formats, online platforms and large scale content management systems. The Interactive Designer will contribute to creative briefs and help define online strategy and information architecture.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated, inspired, detail-oriented digital designer, who is in tune with social networking/Web 2.0 tools and capabilities, mobile media, and video, and aware of how these tools and technologies are used by our target audiences—notably high school and college students looking to further their education.
- Part of CEA’s creative services team, the Interactive Designer reports to the Art Director and works in close collaboration with print designers, as well as the web producers and developers in Online Media.
- Develops the visual presence of large and small online entities, including, but not limited, to full school websites, micro-sites, landing pages, blogs, social networking sites, iPhone/iPad apps, HTML emails, and more.
- Works with Web Producers to build websites using technologies that conform to usability standards and makes sure that they are universally accessible and easy to navigate.
- Ensures consistency of vision on marketing campaigns that may extend to print, video, and advertising.
- Supports the university branding and web style guides.
- Bachelor’s degree in design, communications, online media, or other related discipline or commensurate experience.
- Three+ years of experience in designing for the web and digital media.
- Expert proficiency in the complete Adobe Creative Suite and Interaction Design skills (IA and UI) is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to create designs that can be produced to spec in the following digital formats is required: HTML, HTML5, XHTML, CSS, PHP, and Flash.
- Superior knowledge of the following is also required:
- Cross-browser and cross-platform issues (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.).
- Responsive design principals and CSS grids
- User experience
- Current Web 2.0 design trends and techniques
- The ideal candidate is a clear communicator who brings attention to detail and creative problem solving; is a team player and multitasker; and brings a sense of humor and joy to all of her/his work.
- An online design portfolio that demonstrates solid knowledge of web and/or mobile design principals is essential to be considered for this position.
Preference will be given to those who may also have skills in any of the following:
- Large-scale content management systems
- Digital imaging
- Mobile media
- Motion graphics
- Video titling